background

Friday, January 29, 2010

Duncan Hines to the Rescue

My poor husband. Everytime he tries to get me something nice for my birthday it always seems to get ruined. A couple of years ago my inlaws had to stay with us for 16 days (not that I was counting) and as a "thank you" they bought us the Kitchen Aid food processor I was dying to have. Guess who had bought me one the day before and had tucked it away for a birthday surprise? Bless his heart, he was so frustrated when his parents brought one over!

This year he ordered my favorite strawberry cake from the Wooden Spoon, a local Mennonite cafe, for my "Larsen family" party this weekend. In case you live under a rock, this is what the midwest is dealing with.
You can't tell, but there is a layer of ice, sleet, and now several inches of snow. The Wooden Spoon is in another small town, about 5-8 miles away. I was informed by my husband last night that I would have to pick up my cake because the weather being as it was, he wasn't sure if he would make it to the Wooden Spoon before they closed. I guess he forgot who he was married to, because this chick is not about ready to drive on hilly, ice and snow packed roads for a strawberry cake. Long story short, the strawberry cake is a no-go, so it's Ducan Hines to the rescue!
Yellow cake with homemade dark chocolate buttercream frosting. Yuh-UM. It's the next best to strawberry cake in my book. Hopefully the roads will clear so we can share the cake with family. If not, I'm sure I can take care of it alone!

Here are some more pics of the winter wonderland outside our windows.


No comments: